Monday, November 14, 2011

Life Moments: Lou Rawls Has Game


Every picture tells a story.  In this one, I'm meeting Lou Rawls.  Here's everything I remember:
  • It is 1989 and I am at the National Association of Television Programming Executives convention in Houston, TX.
  • I was hired to work in a booth dressed up as Jem, the rock & roll Barbie.
  • I wanted to be an actress.
  • I was a horrible actress.
  • Yes, I was serious about that hair.  If I had teased those bangs any higher, they would've taken their ball and gone home.
  • The watch I'm wearing did not work, but I liked the look of the fake diamonds around the face of it, so I continued to wear it.
  • Lou Rawls and I bumped into each other in a hallway and he asked if I wanted to have my photo taken with him. 
  •  I thought he was Ben Vereen and told him how much I enjoyed his performance in "Roots."
  • To his credit, he thought this was funny.
  • Just before this photo was snapped, Sweet Lou mentioned something about the two of us going to his hotel room.
  • That's why he was chuckling and crowding my bubble.
  • I had no idea how pasty I was at that time.
  • I'm wearing 4 rings...I think that was every ring I owned at the time.  I have no idea why.
  • You can't see it against that loud tie of his, but Lou was wearing a huge, solid gold pendant of the Greek Drama masks.  It had to be about 3 inches wide.
  • I was the thinnest I would ever be in my adult life... 115 pounds.  I maintained this weight for roughly 45 seconds before I started gaining again.
  • I thought I was fat.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you messed that one up. We could've been living off of the "You're Going To Miss My Love" money alone.

    ReplyDelete